Sunday, June 22, 2014

Film for Thought: Step Up

Well hello there. It's been awhile :)

Our film for thought this week is the dance classic, Step Up which I recently watched for the very first time. I KNOW, I know - how could this be the first time I've ever seen this movie?? Honestly, it's because I was under the impression it was terrible (it isn't!) and I'm not generally one for dance movies (I might be now). However, I've been watching A LOT of So You Think You Can Dance lately (particularly season 10 in preparation for the revelation of this season's Top 20) so that, combined with the fact the Jenna Dewan Tatum was a guest judge at the Atlanta auditions led to me finally watching it. 

And here's what I feel compelled to talk about. Obviously there's spoilers. But, the movie came out in 2006 so I figure you've had sufficient time to see it for yourself. 

1. The Fashion

Exhibit A) Channing Tatum's Extra Long Black Wifebeater

For some reason, I just can't get over this shirt. I mean, come on. It makes his torso look abnormally long and lean. And while I'm all about lean torsos, this just...nope. 

Exhibit B) Channing Tatum's Extra Baggy Pants

You may think that those are sweatpants. They are not. They're jeans. And they're SO big and baggy, you think that they are sweatpants. Tatum proceeds to slip all over them the entire scene and look like an idiot. Albeit, and attractive and endearing idiot, but and idiot nonetheless. I was certainly grateful that later on during the several "learn to dance" montages he finds more suitable athletic wear. I mean, I understand that you don't choose the thug life (or in this case fashion), the thug life chooses you but come on Tatum! It's like bringing a knife to a gunfight. 

Exhibit C) The Extra Long Teal Scarf

I MEAN LOOK AT IT. Here it is in all its blue-green beauty. Just looking at it in this simple screenshot causes one to ask the following questions: Does she ever trip on it? How much warmth does it really provide? Do they sell them in different sizes depending on how tall you are?

And many more.

2. The Moments

Exhibit A) Destroying the Theater

As a college graduate with a degree in theater design, this scene hurt my soul. I found myself thinking/shouting various things such as "They're not wardrobe! How dare they touch those costumes!" and "The poor set designers! These hooligans have no idea how much that plaster bust they smashed actually cost" and "Real feather pillows? Wow. They must've had a nice budget" 

Needless to say I had little sympathy for the lot of them when the security cop came in and busted them. All's fair, right?

Exhibit B) The Sunset Kiss that Never Was

Nicholas Sparks couldn't be prouder. Except maybe if they actually kissed.

Exhibit C) Skinny (aka the little brother) Gets Shot


Then I was like "Well. That escalated quickly." I mean, I guess it was kind of foreshadowed at the start of the film that Skinny was gonna get himself into some kind of serious trouble, but SHOT TO DEATH BY A GANGSTA? Wow. Not to mention he wasn't just shot once, you hear like FIVE shots when you're inside the club. That's harsh.

Is it bad that as a makeup artist I was a little upset by the lack of blood? I mean, I know it's gonna keep the PG-13 rating (it may even be PG, I don't actually know) but you couldn't even tell that the kid was shot. The only blood is on Tatum's hand near the end of the scene from where he (presumable) tried to put some pressure on one of what I'm assuming to be multiple gun shot wounds. I mean, at least give me a bloody shirt people! 

3. The Dancing

Exhibit A) The Learning Montage


This is could also be called the "pre 'falling in love montage' montage". I loved every second of it. I mean, look at Tatum - he can barely hold it together and she's so patient and her best friend is all "pssht like you DON'T think he's hot" and he walks her home and they real-talk all while learning her jazzy choreography...

Exhibit B) The Impromptu Line Dance
The minute she asked him to dance I was like "Oh man - a scene where everyone miraculously can dance and they somehow know all the moves. I hate these." BUT they cleverly turned it into a HIP HOP LINE DANCE with Tatum struggling to pick it up just like a normal person. Bravo.

Exhibit C) A Very "Dirty Dancing" Ending

 The whole ending dance sequence was pretty great. I mean, I still felt really awkward watching white gangsta Tatum kind of dance hip-hip (a feeling I had from the get go that never really went away) but since they reconciled their love through dance, I could live with it. 

But I mean, she even pauses before running into his arms where he lifts her up to applause and everything.

Swayze would be proud. 

Honorable Mentions

1. The Sassy Ballerina

As Channing Tatum so beautifully put it "I thought she was going to kill me with her bare hands!" Not only did I love her that instant, but she THEN makes a brief reappearance during the "falling in love" montage! I approve. I mean, look at her. 

2. The Jerk Boyfriend

Here we have a high school student trying to get his big break as a music star who is also a spectacular jerk and ends up screwing over all his friends when he gets signed to a record label solo. Also, he starts out dating Jenna Dewan Tatum but she breaks up with him for being said jerk.

Funny story. This actor is in a movie called The Jerk Theory (which is on Netflix and was filmed in Utah. If you've lived there for any amount of time it's kinda cool cause you'll recognize a bunch of places) where he is high school student trying to get his big break as a music star who is PRETENDING to be a spectacular jerk because his girlfriend left him for a jerk and ends up screwing over all his friends on accident. Also, he dates Jenna Dewan Tatum but she softens his heart and forces him to be the kind, sweet guy he actually is.  

Talk about being typecast.

4. Channing Tatum's Muscles

Thank you.


If Step Up made you re-think social class boundaries or if the extra long teal scarf also raised some questions - I'd love to hear them! Just leave a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment